It is important to keep our skin moisturized and protected, but at the same time we don’t want to slather toxic laden ingredients found in many commercially produced body lotions.
Hence, with just a few, simple and natural ingredients, we can now create a natural hand and body butter that will soothes, moisturizes, lessen fine lines and improves skin texture, while leaving the skin smelling sweet and fresh.
We are going to use 3 main ingredients – Rosehip Oil, Argan Oil and Shea butter.
1. Shea butter is naturally rich in vitamins A, E and F. It offers UV protection ( SPF ~6) and provides the skin with essential fatty acids and nutrients necessary for collagen production. The concentration of natural vitamins and fatty acids in shea butter makes it incredibly nourishing and moisturizing for skin. It is often used to remedy dry skin and to help protect the skin’s natural oils.
2. Rosehip Oil is rich in Vitamin A and is great for mature skin. Its’ properties can improve skin’s moisture and collagen levels, hencereducing wrinkles and fine lines. (Comodogenic Rating = 1)
3. Argan Oil is a great wonder. It is less-greasy, seldom irritates skin and has an incredible moisturizing and anti-aging properties that keep skin revitalized. It is great for dry skin, however, other skin types can also benefit from this oil, as it does not clog pores and has comedogenic rating of 0 (zero). It is believed effectively minimizes wrinkles, fades scars, age spots and stretch marks.
1. 100g shea butter
( or 50gm shea butter and 50gm Cocoa butter)
2. Rosehip Oil 50ml
3. Argan Oil 50ml
4. Geranium or Rose Geranium Essential Oil 15 drops
5. Frankincense Essential Oil 15 drops
6. Sweet Orange Essential Oil 10 drops
*1ml is about 20 drops. This formula is using 1% dilution rate.
How do we do it:
1. Add butters and carrier oils to a Pyrex or equivalent measuring cup or a bowl and set into a double boiler until just melted. Remove from heat.
2. Put the mixture in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes or until the mixture is beginning to set ( white in color) and has a little liquid in the middle.
3. Whip the mixture with a stick blender or a hand mixer for about 5- 10 minutes (stop before it gets too stiff)
4. Add essential oils and beat for 30 seconds more.
5. Spoon or pipe into container.
How to use it:
Apply a small amount of body butter to hands or any part of body. Gently rub into skin in circular motions.
Storage and shelf life:
Store in an airtight container in a cool place or the fridge. The body butter can be kept for up to 6 months.